Wednesday, 16 May 2012

The beginning of the Kibbutz

After being on the kibbutz for a week and a half, I am starting to find my feet and settle in. I have started to make friends and enjoying it so much.


When I arrived it was very intimidating. All of the volunteers had their "clicks"- they had made friends and did their own thing. Being the new kid isn't easy in any situation but slowly I started to get to know everyone. 


I work in the pardes (orchards) and work with such great people, they are so friendly and really take care of you. (all the kibbutzniks - the people that live on the kibbutz - are actually). It is really tough work and physically demanding but as time goes on I am getting into a rhythm and finding my feet. I am learning so much working in the pardes, I have learnt so much about trees and how to care for them, irrigation and insects. It really is fascinating and enjoy it so much. It is so peaceful.


The volunteers are from all over the world, we are like a mini united nations, it is so interesting to hear about who all these people have come to the kibbutz and what their lives are like. After hearing why some of the people are at the kibbutz, I am reminded of how lucky I am to have an amazing family, who supports me and care so deeply for me.


I am having such a great time and learning new things all the time, at work we have made a rule that I should learn one Hebrew word a day - I am really starting to get the hang of it and can have a small conversation, I really hope that I will be able to learn a great deal more and learn as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What you have to say