Sunday, 29 April 2012

Week 1 in Israel

Greetings.


I arrived in Tel Aviv, Israel on Thursday, 26th April 2012. Not knowing what to expect I was excited and more that ready. After a very long stop in Germany I was tired and very irritated. 


My cousin met me at the airport when my flight came in at 3 am. I was lucky that I could go back to her house and sleep for a while.


It was independence day here on the 26th April so much celebration was taking place. We went to a barbecue (braai) the day I arrived where it was very interesting to see how there were so many people coming and going, each person that arrived had a dish in hand and settle into the festivities.


After spending the day here it suddenly hit me that I was a million miles from home and so far out of my comfort zone I was blown away. For weeks and months before I left, i was hardly phased about my departure and I was waiting in anticipation for the moment it would sink it. I think that moment struck while I was getting out of the cat at O.R Tambo International Airport where I thought I was going to have a heart attack but I survived it and started my journey. It was not until I was in Israel that I had realized and it had sunk in.


It was a tough day but I was fortunate that I had family around me. I think the hardest thing to comprehend was the language barrier, I was fully aware and prepared that I was going to a country where English was not in fact the first language, however I don't think I was fully prepared to the extent of my limitations. Not being able to open the fridge and read one word, not being able to watch a lot of TV, small things such as getting into the car on the wrong side. looking the wrong way when crossing the street. It is all part of the experience though and I am learning day buy day. I am already adjusting quite well I think, well... I can at least get into the car on the correct side for now.


I spent the weekend (Friday and Saturday) at the beach where everyone plays 'tennis' - bats and balls, plays their guitars and plays backgammon - apparently a very big thing in Israel. I have learnt how to play backgammon while being here, its not as easy as it looks but not as hard to learn either. Still very confused but im sure i will get better. 


I have 1 week before I go to the Kibbutz so will be trying to do a bit of traveling while i pass time. Would like to see a bit of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem in the next few days.


'till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment

What you have to say